DeKalb County Assault & Battery Lawyer
DeKalb County & Carroll County Criminal Defense Attorney
Assault and battery are separate charges, each with two possible degrees of severity. Assault is defined as the threat of violence or putting another in a situation where there is high risk of injury, while battery is the physical act of violence. Either charge can be considered simple, which falls into the misdemeanor category, or aggravated which counts as a felony.
If you are seeking an assault attorney in DeKalb County, Atlanta, or DeKalb County, allow the former elected District Attorney Robert James with Daniels & James Law Offices to assist you. Reach out today at (404) 620-6110 for a free case consultation.
Understanding the Charges
- Simple Assault: Attempting to commit a violent injury or putting another in a situation where they could be injured. However, this category is not limited to actions but can also cover words if they are menacing, such as with threats.
- Aggravated Assault: The charges are heightened when the intentions behind assault are shown to be to murder or rob. Furthermore, if a weapon is involved the charge will fall into this category.
- Simple Battery: Intentionally provoking, insulting, or causing physical harm to another via physical contact.
- Aggravated Battery: When the injury caused to the victim is serious such as loss of use of limb, loss of limb, or serious disfigurement.
Understanding the Possible Consequences
If charged with either simple assault or simple battery, the penalties are:
- Up to 1 year in jail
- Fines reaching $1,000
For an aggravated crime in both assault and battery charges, the consequences can include:
- 1-20 years in prison
- Fines, the amount of which are dependent upon details of the case
At times, there are factors involved that can alter the ruling and punishment of the crime, such as if:
- A firearm was involved
- The victim was pregnant or elderly
- The crime was committed against a family member
- The victim was a police officer, caregiver, or school employee
Representation from a Firm You Can Trust
The former elected District Attorney Robert James has 18 years of experience handling cases in the criminal justice system and knows how to navigate complex criminal matters. He is equipped with a team and resources needed to handle your assault and battery case. If you find yourself in need of quality representation, our firm is ready to assist you.
Call us today at (404) 620-6110 to start the process.
Supervised the Prosecution of 8,000 Felony Cases a Year
Former Elected District Attorney of DeKalb County, Georgia
Personally Involved in the Training of Policemen
Daniels & James are Well Respected in the Industry
Top Prosecutor for 10 Years
Free In-House & Hospital Consultations